Skills and Business Support for Rural Businesses Post Brexit, Plumpton College, Lewes
- Capital Investment - East Sussex, More than £2m, LGF3
Design in progress
Expected completion date
The aim of the Project is assist in the provision of the infrastructure and training required to secure better AgriFood business productivity and efficiency post-Brexit. Achieving this aim is reliant on the following:
- A better supply of more highly trained, educated and entrepreneurial new entrants;
- Continual updating of the existing workforce;
- Business leaders adopting improved business techniques to exploit market opportunities, non-traditional diversification, estate utilisation and available technologies, e.g. the potential offered from automation;
- Increasing technical skills to:
- fill the current national shortage of 650,000 technical vacancies (land-based), of which 150,000 are in the South East;
- meet skills demand through new AgriFood opportunities which are not currently delivered elsewhere in the South East;
- Plumpton College’s enhanced presence to prepare businesses for Brexit and the post-Brexit period, including recruitment of individuals with appropriate levels of skill.
The LGF funding will be used to assist in delivering the first phase of an ambitious strategic project. Specifically the Project will deliver:
- Construction of a 2 storey centre of excellence in AgriFood knowledge transfer, business improvement and skills training;
- Improved pedestrian and road user access to the new facilities;
- Redevelopment of the pig production and beef and sheep handling facilities, including automated milking stations;
- Development of a village green through landscaping opportunities.
Capital Programme delivery update
Take a look at our update on the delivery of the Local Growth Fund (LGF) and Growing Places Fund (GPF) capital programmes.
£570m of investment to East Sussex, Essex, Kent, Medway, Southend and Thurrock
In total the SELEP Growth Deal with Government has brought £570m of investment to East Sussex, Essex, Kent, Medway, Southend and Thurrock. Over the lifetime of the Growth Deal (2015-2021) we aim to deliver 78,000 jobs and 29,000 homes across the SELEP area, with the Deal set to attract a further £960m of investment into the South East over the six year period.