Creative Open Workspace Masterplan and Prospectus
The SELEP Creative Open Workspace Masterplan and Prospectus project drives growth, innovation and prosperity by supporting the workspace needs of one of the fastest growing sectors – the creative industries. The creative industries are worth more than £87.4bn in GVA to the UK, and the creative economy employs one in every eleven working people (approximately 9% of the workforce).
This project addresses a gap in suitable workspace for the Creative Cultural and Digital Sector, across the SELEP area. In order to do this the project will deliver the following outputs:
- A refreshed South East Creative Economy Prospectus to describe exemplary pipeline projects alongside complementary work packages addressing skills and business support needs;
- A Creative Open Workspace report and toolkit to accelerate the pipeline of open workspace projects;
- Cultural planning policy guidance that can be adopted by local authorities to support the inclusion of creative workspace in new developments and the re-purposing of under-used buildings as creative workspace;
- A minimum of three Creative Enterprise Zones and increased Business Rate yield identified;
- A SELEP-wide pipeline of investment-ready open workspace projects; and
- Development of the governance and operating structure for a new creative workspace finance vehicle.
Creative industries can lack visibility. Flagship buildings which bring many microbusinesses under one umbrella not only support those businesses but also tell a story about the impact of the creative industries on the local economy. They send a clear signal that creative microbusinesses are welcomed and valued in the region and are immediate docking stations from which creative businesses can seek out the ecosystem of complementary businesses, business support and collaborations they need to survive. Furthermore, open workspace can lend authority to individual company brands, supporting marketing and promotion campaigns.
- Sector Support Fund - Approved SSF projects
Sector Support Fund
It uses Growing Places Fund Revenue Grant to fund a programme of works to support the sector focused activities that are being undertaken on a pan-LEP basis and predominantly led by the SELEP working groups. When the Growing Places Fund grant was originally awarded, a proportion of the fund was earmarked as revenue which is being used for the Sector Support Fund.