TGSE Local Sustainable Transport Fund (LSTF) – Southend
- Capital Investment - Essex, Southend & Thurrock, Less than £2m, LGF1
LGF project delivered
Project completion date
If Southend Town Centre is to remain and develop as a destination for visitors, residents and businesses, the streetscape and public spaces must be improved to support the overall offer.
S-CATS Phase 2 supports this vision by building upon existing successes and investment and unlocking the potential of significant regeneration opportunities. Developments within the Central Area will be supported by transport improvements to create a safe and vibrant atmosphere for communities and businesses and as a welcoming visitor experience.
Any new road layout will include the following key features:
- Realignment of the carriageway to include provision for cycling
- Replacement of Sainsbury’s’ mini roundabout with simple junction that is at a raised level acting as a traffic calming feature simplifying movements for pedestrians at this location
- Replacement of the mini roundabout junction at College Way with a simple junction that is also at a raised level acting as a traffic calming feature
- Raised tables at London Road’s junction with Ashburnham Road and Gordon Road
- Reduction in speed limit from 30mph to 20mph
- Sustainable Urban Drainage System along the footway and cycleway
Improved street lighting
- Block paving of footway, cycleway and parking bays
- Improvements to landscaping including introduction of trees and planters
These changes will require the reallocation of road space to provide a larger area for pedestrians and an improved street environment, while also maintaining essential access for delivery vehicles, taxis and cars.
Capital Programme delivery update
Take a look at our update on the delivery of the Local Growth Fund (LGF) and Growing Places Fund (GPF) capital programmes.
£570m of investment to East Sussex, Essex, Kent, Medway, Southend and Thurrock
In total the SELEP Growth Deal with Government has brought £570m of investment to East Sussex, Essex, Kent, Medway, Southend and Thurrock. Over the lifetime of the Growth Deal (2015-2021) we aim to deliver 78,000 jobs and 29,000 homes across the SELEP area, with the Deal set to attract a further £960m of investment into the South East over the six year period.