STEM Innovation Centre – Colchester Institute
Complementing the STEM Innovation Centre (Phase 1 SE LEP SCF project) which was successfully completed in April 2017, this secondary project will complete the long term transformational vision of a ‘Centre of Advanced Technology’ for the Braintree Campus.
The STEM Innovation Campus Project is a vision that meets the following main aims:
1. To transform curriculum delivery from a broad range of vocational courses to a narrower suite of technical and professional programmes, focussing on STEM subjects at L3, L4 and L5
2. To provide specific skills training aligned to local employer need, and assisting inward investment to one of the fastest growing areas in the County – assisted by forthcoming A12 and A120 infrastructure improvement.
3. The project was assessed & considered as part of the 2017 Essex Strategic Area Review – replacing 6,614 SqM of poor quality accommodation with modern fit for purpose industry standard facilities
4. Employer focussed delivery model. Sponsored, led and co-delivered by employers.
5. Supporting the Essex Devolution pledge in 70 apprenticeship starts p.a. from 2020.
A 1,432 SqM three storey building will be constructed on College owned land on the Church Lane campus site, adjacent to the STEM Innovation Centre. The new technologically enhanced facility will enable the removal of a cluster of nine buildings that are not only beyond useful economic life, but are also crucially unfit to support STEM curriculum delivery. This mismatch currently prevents the College from delivering the relevant pre-requisite skills demanded by local employers.
- Capital Investment - Essex, Southend & Thurrock, LGF3, More than £2m