Specialist Equipment for STEM Centre, Sussex Downs College
Sussex Downs College, East Sussex
Specialist Equipment for STEM Centre, Sussex Downs College (Lewes)
- Specialist equipment for the STEM Centre including digital melting point apparatus, mass spectrometer and science equipment
- Delivering training for STEM based sectors including engineering and medical
- Supporting 35 additional learners per year including apprenticeships
Skills Capital Fund
Some background to the South East LEP (SELEP) skills capital funding:
SELEP received a total allocation of £22m Skills Capital Funding from the Skills Funding Agency (SFA) for the period April 2015-April 2017 to support the building, refurbishment and equipment purchase. This has enabled 29 projects which were funded across four funding rounds, with roughly a 50% match funding contribution from local authorities, colleges and the private sector.
Projects were aligned to growth sectors across the LEP area to deliver significant number of qualifications, apprenticeships and provide industry relevant, leading edge facilities. Bids had to illustrate support for NEET (‘Not in Education, Employment, or Training’) and unemployed learners.
Ahead of SELEP Accountability Board approvals, all bids for funding went through a skills evaluation process with input from representatives from each of the federated Employment and Skills Boards to ensure a fit with growth sectors as well as SFA or independent evaluation.
Indicative figures illustrate that until 2021, across the projects, there will be delivery of:
- at least an additional 15,000 full time qualifications
- 7,300 additional apprenticeships
- approximately 21,527m2 of new and improved learning and training floor space and facilities will be in place by April 2017.
- additional numbers of adult learners will also be supported, with final figures being finalised
- Skills - Equipment & Refurbishment (SCF)