Specialist Equipment Ashford phase 1a
Ashford College (Hadlow Group), Kent and Medway.
Specialist Equipment Ashford phase 1a, Hadlow Group
- Equipment to support the redevelopment in Ashford. Equipment includes electric eco car kits, electronic lathes and house self-build packages
- Delivering training for the motor vehicle, transport, mechanical engineering and construction sectors
- Supporting 184 additional learners per year including apprentices
Skills Capital Fund
Some background to the South East LEP (SELEP) skills capital funding:
SELEP received a total allocation of £22m Skills Capital Funding from the Skills Funding Agency (SFA) for the period April 2015-April 2017 to support the building, refurbishment and equipment purchase. This has enabled 29 projects which were funded across four funding rounds, with roughly a 50% match funding contribution from local authorities, colleges and the private sector.
Projects were aligned to growth sectors across the LEP area to deliver significant number of qualifications, apprenticeships and provide industry relevant, leading edge facilities. Bids had to illustrate support for NEET (‘Not in Education, Employment, or Training’) and unemployed learners.
Ahead of SELEP Accountability Board approvals, all bids for funding went through a skills evaluation process with input from representatives from each of the federated Employment and Skills Boards to ensure a fit with growth sectors as well as SFA or independent evaluation.
Indicative figures illustrate that until 2021, across the projects, there will be delivery of:
- at least an additional 15,000 full time qualifications
- 7,300 additional apprenticeships
- approximately 21,527m2 of new and improved learning and training floor space and facilities will be in place by April 2017.
- additional numbers of adult learners will also be supported, with final figures being finalised
- Skills - Equipment & Refurbishment (SCF)