Purfleet Centre Project
The Purfleet Centre project seeks to secure the comprehensive redevelopment of a 140 acre site to provide a new town centre for Purfleet featuring; c.2,500 new homes a 600,000 sq ft film and television studio complex, and supporting infrastructure including a new primary school, health centre, supermarket and community spaces within a high quality public realm.
In total it is anticipated that the development will create around 2,700 new jobs (direct and indirect, but excluding construction jobs).
Aims of the scheme:
- Secure the development of the homes, facilities and services necessary to create a genuinely sustainable community within Purfleet
- Deliver substantial amounts of high quality, mixed tenure housing in support of local needs
- Support the continued development of Creative and Cultural Industries within Thurrock
- Maximise the value of and access to natural and man-made features including the River Thames, Mardyke Valley and adjacent RSPB Reserve and High House Production Park
- Where possible, use the investment targeted at Purfleet Centre to address the historic and existing infrastructure deficiencies
- Maximise the local economic benefit through skills, training, employment and supply chain programmes
- Maximise the value (both in economic and commercial terms) of the Council’s landholding and cash investment;
In terms of the measurable outputs being secured through this scheme; there will be:
- 1,835 new homes which will include terrace houses, apartments and maisonettes and the acceleration will allow these to be delivered earlier
- 2,652 gross direct jobs created through development and with acceleration these will be created sooner.
The wider effects we estimate the development to have would be to create, in the central case, £28,043,407 gross value added (GVA) over the accelerated period.
- Capital Investment - Essex, Southend & Thurrock, LGF2, More than £2m