M11 Junction 8 Improvements
- Capital Investment - Essex, Southend & Thurrock, More than £2m, LGF3
Design in progress
Expected completion date
Junction 8 of the M11 is currently operating at capacity and already experiences significant queuing on some arms at peak periods. Stansted Airport is growing at an unprecedented rate of 2 million passengers per annum (mppa) and committed developments in the area, in particular in Bishop’s Stortford, will add to this congestion. Local Plans for East Herts and Uttlesford are being progressed, and this junction is key to these plans being found sound. As part of the discussions around the Uttlesford plan, the issue of M11 J8 was raised. The plan’s success through inquiry will need a clear commitment and delivery of the junction improvement.
The location of the bid is the area around Junction 8 of the M11, including, specifically, the southbound slip from the M11 for traffic accessing the A120, the northbound slip from the M11 for traffic accessing Bishops Stortford / Birchanger Services and the roundabout to the west of the M11 and to the north of the services. The project includes three schemes involving changes to M11 Junction 8 in order to improve traffic flow across the junction, improve access to Stansted Airport, the Services area and between the M11 and the A120.
The Project consists of measures at three locations to improve access to Stansted Airport, the Services area and between the M11 and the A120. The three locations include:
- Location 1: South-West of M11 Junction 8
- Adds an additional inside approach lane from the M11 Junction 8 northbound exit slip onto the A120, with dedicated access into Birchanger Green Services
- Installs upgraded traffic signals elevated on mast arm gantries
- Location 2: West of M11 Junction 8
- Replace the existing A120/A1250 Birchanger roundabout with a staggered signalised junction
- Widen the A120 eastbound and westbound to three lanes on the approach to the new junction with the A1250, introducing a dedicated lane for A1250 traffic, and a new right turn lane for traffic for Birchanger Lane
- Realign Birchanger Lane at the new A120 junction within the highway boundary
- Install toucan crossings (shared pedestrian and cycle crossing) to connect both sides of the A120, with a new footway extending to Birchanger Village and provision of on and off ramps to the on-road cycleway
- Realign the bus laybys on A1250 Dunmow Road with an uncontrolled pedestrian crossing
- Create a spur link off Birchanger Lane for direct access to Bishop’s Stortford / A120 (West) for buses / taxis / ambulances
- Reduce the speed on the A120 to 50mph through the scheme area.
- Location 3: North-east of M11 Junction 8
- Add an additional outside approach lane on the M11 Southbound slip road to separate traffic to London Stansted Airport, A120, Takeley, the services, and Bishops Stortford
- Install upgraded traffic signals that will be elevated on mast arm gantries with overhead signage
The project awarded an additional £1m of LGF funding at the Accountability Board meeting on 12 March 2021. This will help the project to be delivered following cost increases due to Covid-19.
Capital Programme delivery update
Take a look at our update on the delivery of the Local Growth Fund (LGF) and Growing Places Fund (GPF) capital programmes.
£579m of investment to East Sussex, Essex, Kent, Medway, Southend and Thurrock
In total the SELEP Growth Deal with Government has brought £579m of investment to East Sussex, Essex, Kent, Medway, Southend and Thurrock. Over the lifetime of the Growth Deal (2015-2021) we aim to deliver 78,000 jobs and 29,000 homes across the SELEP area, with the Deal set to attract a further £960m of investment into the South East over the six year period.
Updated and revised Business Case February 2021