Colchester Park and Ride and Bus Priority measures
- Capital Investment - Essex, Southend & Thurrock, More than £2m, LGF1
LGF project delivered
Project completion date
This scheme is a key part of the North Colchester Growth Area package of transport measures and will unlock capacity between a key growth area in the North of Colchester and Colchester Station and town centre to enable sustainable growth in housing and employment within the town. It will enable increased access to Colchester from a wide catchment area through the creation of a high quality public transport corridor. This corridor leads directly to the heart of the town which will help to confirm Colchester’s status as a key regional economic centre.
The scheme will provide:
- a 1,000 space Park & Ride facility adjacent to A12 J28;
- a dedicated bus priority lane added to the existing capacity under the North Station rail bridge to ensure bus services are reliable offer an attractive service;
- signal improvements along the Northern Approach corridor to improve Park & Ride bus journey times;
- provision of high quality, dedicated and liveried Park & Ride bus stop infrastructure; and
- additional signage to promote access to the Park & Ride site.
Capital Programme delivery update
Take a look at our update on the delivery of the Local Growth Fund (LGF) and Growing Places Fund (GPF) capital programmes.
£570m of investment to East Sussex, Essex, Kent, Medway, Southend and Thurrock
In total the SELEP Growth Deal with Government has brought nearly £600m of investment to East Sussex, Essex, Kent, Medway, Southend and Thurrock and over the lifetime of the Deal (2015-2021) we aim to deliver 78,000 jobs and 29,000 homes.
The deal and brings new responsibilities and flexibilities and is set to attract a further £960 million extra investment into the South East over the five years.