Chelmsford College, New Construction Centre
- Capital Investment - Essex, Southend & Thurrock, Less than £2m, LGF3
Construction in progress
The project will replace existing temporary buildings to enable a 2-storey framed structure, with a canopy connected to existing buildings which will provide:
- 2 multi-skilled workshops in new curriculum areas;
- 2 classrooms and a light craft workshop;
- Toilets on both floors; and
- Canopy linked to main building to allow for roofing skills and other outdoor trades.
The objectives of the Project are:
- to provide cutting edge workshops and facilities to meet the growing demand in construction, trades, heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) engineering, plumbing and electrical;
- to equip learners with the required skills, to apply new technologies and modern methods of construction to meet the needs of local projects;
- to ensure the local workforce can upskill to meet the identified requirements of the Success Essex Board and wider SELEP;
- to support SELEP key priorities in increasing apprenticeships and industry relevant qualifications within construction;
- to meet the requirements of T Levels and Level 4/5 qualifications within the construction industry;
- to introduce plumbing/HVAC within Chelmsford College to enable a multi-trade vocational offer;
- to investigate the feasibility of establishing a AM2 (Electrical qualification assessment) centre at Chelmsford College.
The project was considered by the Accountability Board on 3rd July 2020 and the decision was made to approve the award of LGF funding to the project, subject to:
- the final third of the 2020/21 LGF allocation being transferred by the Ministry of Housing Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) or the Strategic Board prioritising the Project for funding, should only part of the final third of LGF be confirmed by Government and
- Confirmation of planning permission from Essex County Council
All conditions have been met.
Project Update – 2 July 2021
At the Accountability Board meeting on the 2 July 2021 the Board agreed the spend of LGF beyond 30 September 2021 and the revised
completion date, to Spring 2022, for the new construction centre at Chelmsford College project, subject to Strategic Board endorsement at its meeting in October.
Capital Programme Delivery Update
Take a look at our update on the delivery of the Local Growth Fund (LGF) and Growing Places Fund (GPF) capital programmes.
£579m of investment to East Sussex, Essex, Kent, Medway, Southend and Thurrock
In total the SELEP Growth Deal with Government has brought £579m of investment to East Sussex, Essex, Kent, Medway, Southend and Thurrock. Over the lifetime of the Growth Deal (2015-2021) we aim to deliver 78,000 jobs and 29,000 homes across the SELEP area, with the Deal set to attract a further £960m of investment into the South East over the six year period.