A131 Chelmsford to Braintree
- Capital Investment - Essex, Southend & Thurrock, More than £2m, LGF1
Construction in progress
Expected completion date
To deliver a package of schemes to provide highways capacity, passenger transport and safety improvements for the Chelmsford to Braintree corridor.
The following improvements were identified from a Route Based Strategy (RBS) study performed earlier this year, which included site visits, workshops, consultations and the publication of recommendations / reports:
- Safety Improvements – Following on from initial reviews and workshops, the Essex Safety Audit Team has conducted a detailed audit of the route and developed a list of safety related improvements for the corridor, including non-slip resurfacing, signs and lines
- Nabbotts Roundabout – Provide a lengthened bus lane (150m to 310m) on Chelmer Valley Road (A1016) from Lawn Lane outbound, to Nabbotts Roundabout. Also, provide an increased entry flare from White Hart Lane (A130). Concurrent with these actions, the developer (Countryside Zest) of the new major housing, retail and school site (Beaulieu Park – 3,600 homes), as part of its S278 obligations, will provide a dedicated left turn slip from Essex Regiment Way (A130) to White Hart Lane (A130)
- Bus Lane Extension – Provide a significant extension of the current bus lane from 275m to 1175m, such that the entire length of the road from Pratts Farm roundabout (location of Chelmer Valley Park and Ride) to Nabbotts includes a bus lane. This is a natural extension of Essex County Council (ECC) and Chelmsford City Council’s (CCC) plans to encourage more sustainable travel in Chelmsford by improving the Park and Ride (P&R) services
- Sheepcotes Roundabout – Provide a dedicated left turn slip from Braintree Road (A131) to Essex Regiment Way (A130). The roundabout will be reduced in size to make two lane traffic movements possible around the roundabout and the entry flares from Essex Regiment Way (A130) and Braintree Road (B1008) will be increased
- Deres Bridge Roundabout – Provide increased entry and exit flares (two lanes) on Essex Regiment Way (A130)
Capital Programme delivery update
Take a look at our update on the delivery of the Local Growth Fund (LGF) and Growing Places Fund (GPF) capital programmes.
£570m of investment to East Sussex, Essex, Kent, Medway, Southend and Thurrock
In total the SELEP Growth Deal with Government has brought nearly £600m of investment to East Sussex, Essex, Kent, Medway, Southend and Thurrock and over the lifetime of the Deal (2015-2021) we aim to deliver 78,000 jobs and 29,000 homes.
The deal and brings new responsibilities and flexibilities and is set to attract a further £960 million extra investment into the South East over the five years.